Some of the world’s most iconic lakes are located near the vibrant and picturesque Asheville, NC. Some of the lakes and parks on this list have even been recognized with national awards and featured in beloved cult-classic movies. You can read more about the exceptional lakes near Asheville, NC, in this guide written by the team at The Horse Shoe Farm.
The 5 Best Lakes Near Asheville, NC
- Lake Lure: One of the best man-made lakes in the country is located near Asheville, NC, with views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. If you’re a fan of the movie Dirty Dancing, you’ll immediately recognize this beautiful lake from movie scenes. There’s even an annual Dirty Dancing Festival at Lake Lure to celebrate the nostalgia of this cult classic movie.
- Lake James State Park: This is a state park with some of the best lakes and outdoor adventures to explore near Asheville, NC. There are 25 miles of trails to enjoy hiking or mountain biking fun. Families can explore the national award-winning Holly Discovery Trail with 18 interactive educational activity stations. If you’re a history buff, you must check out the section of the historic Overmountain Victory Trail at Lake James State Park.
- Lake Julian Park: A little under 10 miles from Asheville, NC, is a lovely lake near many outdoor activities. You can have a blast fishing for bass, catfish, bream, and crappie. There’s also a sand volleyball court, 18-basket disk golf course, and horseshoe pits available on a first come basis. You can also rent a paddle or pontoon boat for an hour or half-hour rate.
- Lake Louise Park: This is another one of the lovely lakes near Asheville, NC. Nearby the lake are fantastic amenities like playground facilities, outdoor exercise equipment, walking paths, and grills.
- Lake Tomahawk: This park has one of the most gorgeous lakes near Asheville, NC, and features many other opportunities for fun. At the park you can enjoy the pavilion, fishing pier, playground facilities, tennis courts, horseshoe pits, and the popular walking trail.
Book Your Vacation to the Iconic Lakes Near Asheville, NC
After you’ve had a fun day at the nearby lakes, treat yourself to one of the most relaxing retreats of your life at The Horse Shoe Farm in North Carolina. We are proud to be one of the most luxurious resorts near Asheville, NC, and offer our guests comfy vacation rentals, fine dining, spa packages, yoga classes, and more! Please be our guest and book your stay today!